Here's the thing. I've run in 4 half marathons in just over a year and haven't lost a single pound.
Not.
One.
I AM stronger, I know that, and I lost (and gained back) a couple of inches here and there as I've worked out to train for a race and then completely stop after. And yes, I know that the number on the scale isn't as important as losing inches when you're toning up. I get that. But those stupid numbers on the scale aren't budging. And this includes:
Weight
Body Fat %
Body Water %
Muscle Mass
Bone Mass
Visceral Fat
Physique Rating
BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
and,
((grrrr....))
Metabolic Age.
I'm done with them. Seriously, totally, done.
Well, at least for a month anyway.
I still don't know what clicked eight years ago when I started on the journey to losing that 30 lbs. And I've been waiting for something to click again that makes me magically want to work out every day.
Then I came to a bit of a realization. It's not a matter of WANTING to work out every day, although I know that will come. It's working out every day, EVEN WHEN I don't want to. Yeah, I know it's kind of a "duh!" thing but it always seems like I make things more complicated than they need to be when the answer is usually a simple one, isn't it?
Here's the second thing I realized. In all of my workouts this last year to prepare for those half marathons, I never really pushed myself. I definitely made myself keep going when I wanted to quit, but I never pushed myself beyond what was comfortable. With all of my workouts, whether it was cardio/strength or just on a run, I was always trying to ration my energy so I wouldn't burn out too soon. And again, I got stronger because I was working my muscles, but I wasn't getting my heart rate to the level it needed to be at to burn the calories to burn fat.
Again, duh.
I saw this post by Cathy Zielske on her blog at the beginning of the year, and, while I was intrigued, I knew I wasn't ready to commit yet. Oh, I'm all over the idea of a fun journal to keep track of my progress, but I'm always about the fun system and not so much about the work that is supposed to be recorded in it.
Then, a few of weeks ago, I knew I was ready to be serious about my health and started researching my options. I knew I needed some kind of accountability, but I didn't want to spend the money on anything like Weight Watchers or something like that. I think that's great for some people, but I knew I'd done it on my own before and I knew I could do it again.
I also knew that I needed a common sense approach to all of this. I gave up my daily dose of Cherry Pepsi a couple of years ago, but still enjoyed soda once in a while when I wanted one. I knew that I didn't want to completely give up things that I liked to eat, I just couldn't have them all of the time.
Besides, if you know my husband, you know that he loves to eat. And by eat, I mean to eat chocolate, black cherry kool-aid, donuts, cheesecake, cookies, hamburgers, milkshakes...I could go on and on. His own blog is entitled, "I eat...therefore I run", and he does.
This is Brian in the middle of an ultra-marathon. It was 50 miles long. And he's smiling. Weirdo. But he runs (and bikes, and swims...) so he can eat anything he wants to. He just doesn't eat those things all the time. And he is meticulous about measuring and recording what he eats so he almost always knows how many calories he's taking in compared to how much he's expended in his workouts for the day. (Yes, workouts...often twice a day!) But that means he can often take in twice the amount of calories most normal people can.
So...back to me, because this is my blog.
While I was doing my research, I came across Cathy Zielske's blog again and I remembered the fitness journal she had created. She also has several REALLY good posts about nutrition in general. As well as a recommendation for a podcast called "Dishing Up Nutrition". I highly recommend these podcasts, they're so full of really good information (even if I totally picture SNL's NPR Delicious Dish skits while I'm listening to them...)
So, armed with my light bulb moments and a renewed motivation to fight those stupid numbers on the scale, I've recommitted myself to a better me. Starting last week.
It's a little anti-climactic, I know, but instead of laying everything out here before I did it, I'm happy to say I have a week behind me and I have a very doable system and am expecting very doable results (not sure if that makes sense but oh well).
Since this has gotten so long I'll do the last part tomorrow. The part with embarrassing pictures and numbers. Stay tuned...

No comments:
Post a Comment